Sunday, January 30, 2011

5,6,7,8...

Dear Reader,
My first thought when I woke up this morning was this: Is oatmeal a solid or a liquid? My chemistry class seems to be heightening my curiosity on the matter. I mean, it's goopy as all get out, but it sure as heck stays in my bowl when I flip it upside-down. After an embarrassing amount of contemplation, I decided it's a hybrid. A sliquid, if you will. That quaker man is one magic dude.

My Brother Justin inspired the focus of my blog today. And no, it's not about Star Wars. I've decided to list what I think are the 6 best song intros that I've encountered. "6 is an odd number," you might be thinking. Well 3 is too few, 10 is too many, and my 5's tend to resemble 'S's. So deal with it.



#6 Somewhere Over the Rainbow- Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
Ultimate road trip song. The intro, for whatever reason, automatically stops my clock and makes me appreciate the beautiful world that surrounds me. This presents quite the challenge driving through Chubbick, Idaho. But really, a ukulele mixed with a soft "Ooh"ing Hawaiian man? Primo. Absolutely Primo.





#5 Starstruck- Lady Gaga
"Groove. Slam. Work it back. Filter that. Baby, bump that track." Shallow as it may sound, the beat that goes along with it is pretty sick. Now tell me if there is anything cooler than a chick in a meat dress telling you how to live your life? I rest my case.






#4 Shake the Disease- Depeche Mode
Creepy "Oohs" followed immediately by a steady beat and what sounds to me like a skeleton getting his rib cage played by his femur bone. Genius. It's intriguing in a very Tim Burton-esque manner. Suttle fear shoved in a blender with 80's emo pop.




#3 America- Simon and Garfunkle
The soft, harmonizing hum of this brilliant 70's duo kicks this intro off right. Ending each phrase with a twangy (but not in a gross country style) guitar measure. So peaceful. Listening to it is as if you've just completed a 60 minute yoga class taught by Morgan Freeman's soothing voice. I can only imagine.




#2 Touch Me- The Doors
Insert keyboard-doo doo doo dodo doo dodo doo (x5) "Come on Come on Come on Come on now touch me babe, can't you see that I am not afraid?" dodo dodo! Dear Jim Morrison, you're gorgeous. In a sexy James Dean sort of way. I don't think any woman in the right mind could resist a request like that.




#1 Seven Nation Army- The White Stripes
A simple 7-note base line is apparently all you need to start a head-banging rock song. And of this I'm a fan. The first four measures leave you desperately wanting more. And by the time the 5th measure begins and you discover they added a symbol...BAM! Mind officially blown. So plain, yet so brilliant!! And very deserving of spot numero uno on my pathetic little Sunday afternoon listo.




So there ya go Reader. The top 6. All unique, all attention-getting, and all nothing that Roseanne Barr would listen to. I'd say it's a win-win-win, wouldn't you?


-The Swampman

No comments:

Post a Comment